The San Francisco 49ers will face one of the NFL’s most athletic quarterbacks this weekend, when they head to Philadelphia to take on Jalen Hurts and the Eagles. Luckily, they have a pretty tremendous athlete of their own waiting in the wings, in rookie Trey Lance.
The Niners held firm to the plan last Sunday, in a 41-33 win over the Detroit Lions. Jimmy Garoppolo was effective, completing 17-of-25 passes for 314 yards and a score. Lance got his first taste of NFL regular season action, though.
Lance entered the game early, with the 49ers in the red zone on their second drive of the game. On first-and-goal from the Lions five-yard line, he found Trent Sherfield for a touchdown, scoring on the first regular season pass attempt of his season.
That would be his only pass of the game. He added three runs for two yards. It appears that Trey Lance has some time before he usurps Jimmy G, especially with how Garoppolo played last week, but he will play a key role in the team’s preparation this week, taking the majority of scout team reps in an effort to simulate what Hurts can do.
Trey Lance runs about 80 percent of scout team reps for the 49ers and Nate Sudfeld gets the remaining 20 percent.
This week, Lance will emulate Philly QB Jalen Hurts — and his mobility should help the 49ers defense prepare
— David Lombardi (@LombardiHimself) September 15, 2021
Jalen Hurts entered the season with plenty of questions, but he was quite impressive last week. In a dominant 32-6 win over the Atlanta Falcons, he completed 27-of-35 throws for 264 yards and three touchdowns. He was also second on the team in rushing, gashing the Atlanta defense for 62 yards on seven carries.
We should find out plenty about both teams on Sunday. San Francisco will have to contend with a 1 p.m. ET kickoff after making the cross country trip.
49ers vs. Eagles will be broadcast on FOX.
The post Trey Lance Had Important Role At 49ers Practice This Week appeared first on The Spun.